Preheat oven to 350.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup natural cocoa (not Dutch-processed)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Sift flour, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, espresso powder (if using), and salt together in a stand mixer with a whisk attached, mix on high for approximately 1 minute until light and fluffy.
- 1 cup of vegetable oil
With the mixer running on high, slowly drizzle in vegetable oil.
- 4 eggs at room temperature
- 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 cups sugar (we find a mix of brown and white works best)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup sour cream or buttermilk
Mix eggs, sugar, vanilla, and sour cream together in a medium bowl.
- 3 cups of zucchini, grated (remove skin and seeds if very mature)
- 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips (best quality you can find)
Combine the flour and egg mixtures and then add the zucchini and chocolate chips.
Bake in a large 10"x16" cake pan or several small cake pans lined with parchment or well-greased.
Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (approx 45min to 1 hr).