Wash & Pack Coordinator
Hiring: Wash & Pack Coordinator
Farm: Edwin County Farms
Location: Prince Edward County, Ontario
Accommodation: can be available depending on what is needed. We have a two bedroom trailer and a one bedroom apartment.
Type: Starting wage of $17/hour, depending on experience, as well as access to fresh veggies.
Hours: 40-50 hours per week.
Term: May 15th to Sept 1st with possibility of extension to a full year position.
Edwin County farms is looking for a Wash & Pack Coordinator to oversee our vegetable harvest, wash & pack and distribution operations. Edwin County Farms is a bio-diverse farm located in beautiful Prince Edward County, Ontario. The 700 acre farm includes a 2 acre intensively planted market garden and seasonal greenhouse facility for vegetables and cut flowers. The farm also produces organic maple syrup, grain, beef, and chicken.
Ontario, providing an array of organic produce, meat, etc for the Hotel's farm to table program. We also supply more than a dozen other local chefs and restaurants in one of Canada's premier wine regions. In addition we feed our community through local farmers’ markets, growing a diverse array of produce from April through to November. We are hoping to extend our growing season and are looking for a manager for our market garden operation who is experienced in medium scale organic vegetable production and is passionate about growing great produce.
Our mission is to produce the highest quality, naturally grown vegetables and flowers using organic and regenerative methods, to nourish our community as well as to provide a friendly and supportive environment and lifestyle for our employees. We have a work culture that strives to be inclusive, productive, efficient, organized, and fun!
Under the direction of the Market Garden Manager, the Wash & Pack Coordinator will participate in all activities relating to organic vegetable (possibly some flower as well) production, harvest and post-harvest operations. Throughout the season daily tasks are diverse and may include a combination of but are not limited to:
- Working closely with the Market Garden Manager and leading team in harvest and post-harvest operations
- Leading post-harvest operations: washing, sorting, weighing, bagging, delivery
- Managing inventories and incoming/outgoing orders
- Examining harvest for quality
- Assisting in field work: bed prep, seeding, planting, weeding
- Updating and meeting with the Market Garden Manager
- Overseeing Farmer’s Market packing, prep & dismantle
- Participating in staffing of Farmer’s Market Stand
The successful applicant will have:
- A strong work ethic and positive attitude
- Strong problem solving, organization and communication skills
- Ability to absorb, integrate and execute detailed instructions and feedback
- Strong observation skills and be detail oriented
- Ability to adapt to changing job priorities and conditions
- Logistics experience
- Previous labour experience, i.e. market gardening, landscaping, tree planting
- Familiarity with proper sanitation and vegetable wash & pack protocols
- Familiarity with market garden tools and systems
- Ability to repeatedly lift 50lbs
- Ability to kneel, bend and squat repeatedly for long periods
- Ability to withstand and enjoy working in all weather conditions, including extreme heat, rain and mud
Prince Edward County is nestled into the Eastern end of Lake Ontario, along the shores of the Bay of Quinte. With over 30 wineries and cideries and its many restaurants, the County has become a top food and wine destination for culinary enthusiasts. Access the water through the beaches and parks including Sandbanks Provincial Park and many other hidden away destinations. The summer and fall play host to Classical, jazz, and country music festivals as well as theatre.
Please e-mail your resume and a brief cover letter to:
Subject: Wash & Pack Coordinator